Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 in Review



The year is winding to a close, and I see many authors posting their yearly retrospections.  Who am I to resist peer pressure?  So I'd like to talk a little about writing books in 2012.

I've been writing since the 1990s, and 2012 has been a banner year.  You bought over 100,000 copies of my books this year, bringing me to a lifetime total of 150,000 sales.  I'm still amazed -- and probably somewhat smug -- that you bought so many of these silly dragon books.

2012 began with some questions.  At Christmas of 2011, I released my novel Light of Requiem, and third volume of my Song of Dragons trilogy.  After a few years of writing obscure standalone novels, Song of Dragons became rather successful, selling over 100,000 copies.  When 2012 began, I found myself wondering:  What next?

Briefly, I debated whether I should write a fourth Song of Dragons novel, stretching the trilogy out into a longer series.  I decided against it; I generally dislike series that ramble on for too long.  I felt that wouldn't be fair to my readers.

And so, I decided to write Dragonlore -- a new fantasy trilogy set in Requiem, the same world as Song of Dragons.  To keep things fresh, I fast-forwarded three hundred years and created a new cast of heroes and villains.

On hindsight, this was the right choice.  So far, the first two Dragonlore novels -- A Dawn of Dragonfire and A Day of Dragon Blood -- are doing well.  While the earlier trilogy had a strong action-adventure feel, this time around, the books are darker -- less A New Hope and more The Empire Strikes Back.  This allows me to keep expanding Requiem and also, I hope, evolve as an author.

One fun moment in 2012 came when A Dawn of Dragonfire (the first Dragonlore novel) reached Amazon's Top 100 bestsellers list.  This made it the #1 bestselling epic fantasy on Amazon, just ahead of George R. R. Martin's latest novel.  Now, this ranking only lasted for a day (and George is again running way ahead), but what a day it was!

But my favorite thing about 2012 was meeting great new people.  I loved hearing from all the readers who emailed me, liked my Facebook page, or followed me on Twitter.  I try to reply to everyone who contacts me.  If you messaged me in 2012, and I failed to answer, please try again.  Your message might have gotten lost in my inbox, but I definitely want to reply to everyone.

So what's next?  What will happen in 2013?

First of all, I'm working on A Night of Dragon Wings, the third and final Dragonlore novel.  This one will be the longest, darkest, most complex Requiem novel yet.  I hope to release it in February or March of 2013.  I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

After that, I'd like to continue expanding the world of Requiem.  I hope to write a third trilogy set in this world.  The way Dragonlore begins three hundred years after Song of Dragons, this third trilogy will also skip forward to a new generation.  It will tell a story for both new readers and old fans.  I hope that, in 2013, I can release the first of these new novels.

As a final thought, I'd like to thank everyone who helped spread the word -- whether by telling a friend, posting an Amazon review, or simply sharing a Facebook post.  These books could not exist without your support.

Thank you, dear readers, for making 2012 a success.  I hope you keep reading in 2013.  I look forward to another year full of dragons.

Daniel

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to more of your work! But will we see a continuation of Misfit Heroes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A woman takes a lot of pride in her breasts, because they help her to feel naturally beautiful and stylish as a grown woman. Triactol is a breast enhancement serum that acts on the tissues surrounding your breast and gives them a younger appearance. Large, firm, perfect and perky breasts that give a natural look are the dream of every woman. There are different methods used for the breast enlargement. Triactol bust enhancement serum has gained a larger number of fans on the market and the demand for its use is constantly growing. Triactol serum renders outstanding and guaranteed results and offers you a 60 days money back guarantee as well. No other breast enhancement cream or any such product offers this kind of guarantee to the users. Triactol works by increasing breast tissues. In order to make breasts naturally larger and perkier, the growth of the tissues are being controlled the natural way. Throughout any Triactol review, you will notice that there are more then plenty of benefits from using this serum, because it is natural and it provide the scouted results. Triactol serum utilizes quality grown bright pueraria mirifica, which functions the most efficient. Triactol is the kind of effective serum that can make your bust size grow and grow, seemingly all on their own. Sure, the process will be a little bit more drawn out than a nip and tuck, but you’ll be protecting your future health while also improving your appearance. This is the kind of solution that you can count on, and a very real reason to buy Triactol, For more review about TriactolBust Serum, Visit http://www.triactolplus.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Provillus is rated hair loss product of the year for men and women hair loss! Provillus is FDA approved solution to stop hair loss and regrow hair back! Read Provillus review before order at www.managehairloss.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found Review on Adiphene, Triactol, Provillus and ZetaClear, Phen375, Garcinia Cambogia Select and Acai Plus with Detox Plus Today, so thought it would be great piece of information to share!

    ReplyDelete